Saturday, March 13, 2010

Shoul we call this food?

What’s up everybody my name is Daniel and I’m going to give you my opinion about the movie food Inc. This movie shows us that the “food” we eat everyday is not as organic as we think it is. The movie also talks about how corporations and fast food chains are destroying the food that people have been eating for the last thousands of years only to get more profit out of it. Unfortunately, the food does not come from the trees or the ground directly to us like it used to be before, but the food is being modified in labs before being put out in the stores. It was brought to my attention at the begin of the movie when Michael Pollan shows how corporations relate their products names and logos to farmers in order to make us believe that the product we are eating is coming from one of this places. Consequently, we can see that Farming is not what it used to be...big business has taken over the food supply, and the quality of the food we consume (and people's health) has suffered because of it. I also found very interesting the fact that none of the targets of this film, the large corporations, were willing to take part in the film, and it's clear to see why. I remember the first time I went to an American store and I saw all these cheap food (in comparison to my country) such as fish, meat, grains and specially this big nice looking fruits I was amazed. I remember saying to my self “how is it possible that these fruits are so big and cheap here while in my country (Colombia) these are small and expensive”, right after that, I remember I saw these pretty big yellow bananas I could not believe that my favorite fruit was twice as big as it was in my country. The craziest part was when I approached closer to these bananas and I found out that these bananas were brought from Colombia. I couldn’t understand how it was possible that after 20 years in my country I had never seen these. However, thanks to this film now I know that these bananas are so big because they are modified and the ones that I had always eaten back in Colombia were natural which but the way are tastier. To conclude I have to say that this film is a truly eye opening to the secrets about our food and all the corruption with the US government, the FDA and multi-million dollar conglomerate companies who only care about profit vs. quality. What will happen to our rights and who know how many more people will have to die or how many farmers are going to have to lose their job to finally put a stop to this.

7 comments:

  1. I agree about how it is surprising that American food is cheap and big. I had same feeling when I came to America at first time. I really hope that labling those informtion will pass the law. This movie is eye opening to me too and I become curious about my country's food system now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same feelings about the problem. But I don't think it's going to be so easy to stop them. Rather we should push the politics to change the law to protect consumers. But it probably has to reach critical point, similar to the credit card idustry, so maybe we have to wait for a "food recession".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my self smilling while reading your reflection since I was picturing you standing before the fruit stand admiring it. I came to Newyork recently and I too was curious and excited by the variety and the size of the fruits. But my excitment fade away when i actually tasted the fruits which were fade and tasteles compared to those in my country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel -
    a lot of interesting points! I love the comparisons between "honest food" (the local, fairly-priced bananas in your country) vs American bigger, brighter, cheaper "dishonest" fruits. I look forward to hearing more from the perspective of a Colombian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - We need some Colombian recipes in the recipe blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS2 - Just read your comment on Whayer's blog - I love it! We really should have a video/article from the other point of view. However, I can't seem to find one that's credible and not an advertorial from a company. Let me know if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you said, the movie is true eye opening. Now we know how these companies process food which attract us with it delicious looks and affordable price.

    ReplyDelete